Commonwealth v. Patrick Nilo Gil; Defendant Flees from Multiple Police Agencies through Several Cities and Tunnels, Drives at Officers; Sentenced to 9 Years and 12 Months

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Colin D. Stolle, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the city of Virginia Beach, announced that Patrick Nilo Gil, 47 years old, formerly of New York, New York, was sentenced yesterday for Attempted Malicious Wounding (2 counts), Eluding Police, Reckless Driving, and Driving without an Operator’s License. Circuit Court Judge Glenn R. Croshaw sentenced Gil to fifteen (15) years and eighteen (18) months in prison with six (6) years and six (6) months suspended, leaving nine (9) years and twelve (12) months to serve.​

Gil pled guilty on February 20, 2019. Had this case gone to trial, the Commonwealth’s evidence would have proven that on February 23, 2018, at approximately 2:40 p.m., Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) officers were notified by Northampton County officers about a pursuit of a southbound vehicle headed towards the CBBT. Shortly thereafter, Gil drove through a gate on the CBBT at a high rate of speed, causing his windshield to shatter. Gil continued to flee at speeds over 100 M.P.H., maneuvering around other vehicles, swerving at police vehicles, and almost striking several vehicles. He also crashed through several construction barrels. Gil almost struck a northbound tractor trailer in the tunnel, which caused all traffic to come to a complete stop in the tunnel. The pursuit was called off for safety reasons and Virginia Beach police were notified as Gil headed in that direction.

Virginia Beach police set up stop sticks in an effort to end the pursuit. Gil traveled on Northampton Boulevard at a high rate of speed, followed by marked patrol units from Virginia Beach. He traveled from the far left travel lane aiming his vehicle at a uniformed officer on the right hand shoulder of the roadway. That officer successfully ran for cover behind his vehicle to avoid being struck. As officers continued to attempt to stop him, Gil again drove at an officer in a parking lot of a warehouse building. He narrowly missed a head-on collision with the officer. This driving behavior continued through Virginia Beach and Norfolk until Gil entered Interstate 64 westbound. He narrowly missed several collisions with citizens and officers on the highway. Virginia State Police shut down all traffic at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel due to the impending safety concern as Gil approached. Eventually Gil hit a spike strip and got a flat tire, but he kept on driving. He struck a vehicle inside the tunnel. Officers attempted to open Gil’s door once he stopped, but he looked at the officer and again accelerated into another car while the officer had his hand on Gil’s door handle. The officer was pinned between two cars.

Gil refused to exit the vehicle and officers extracted him. He stated he did not stop because, “I just got my truck out of impound for $350 in cash and I didn’t want to get towed again. I know the tags are bad, I pulled them off another car in the junkyard and I don’t have a license.”

In Northampton County, Gil was recently sentenced to three (3) years and nine (9) months for charges related to this incident. He also has prior convictions for Attempted Grand Larceny (2 counts), Petit Larceny (3 counts), Receiving Stolen Goods (2 counts), Burglary (2 counts), Destruction of Property, Trespassing (2 counts), Robbery, Assault, and Possession of Marijuana.

Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Tabitha B. Anderson prosecuted this case. Please contact Macie Allen if additional information is desired.

Comments are closed.